October 29, 2006

Are you reading the harvest reports?

Just back from another long day at the winery. Today saw the last fruit processed, one lot of spicy Gewurtztraminer and two separate lots of Riesling, one especially botrytized. This was my first opportunity to see and taste this much botrytis in white grapes. Was there enough to make a dessert Riesling? Maybe so, maybe not. It will all depend on how things progress.

Today began cold and foggy, my hands numb on the sorting line. By lunch I lay on the hill in the weak but still warm sun, resting for a moment before continuing. And I thought of harvest everywhere, and I remembered that Louis/Dressner Selections has terrific first hand 2006 harvest reports from many terrific French and maybe two Italian producers. Don't miss them.

No comments: