October 02, 2009

Picking next week

I've been blogging and Twittering about the great weather we're expect this coming week. Today was pretty nice too after some light rain early. The afternoon was cool, sunny and dry, just want we really need to get ripe flavors without much more sugar acculumation. Looks like the coming week will be relatively warm, which should push sugars up higher. It's not great, but definitely better than rain.

Looks like we'll pick the vineyard on Walnut Hill in the northern part of the Eola-Amity Hills on Tuesday. That's 2.5 tons for my project, several more for my custom crush facility. Then the Zenith pick should be on the schedule for Saturday, October 10. I tasted a sample the Pommard clone juice from this site this afternoon. Flavors are developing, sugar is around 22.8 brix, another week should make things perfect. I'm really excited.

All told, the coming week will be very exciting for me. Let me know if there's anything in particular you're curious about regarding harvest.

No comments: